Perricoota Station was first settled by James Maiden in 1843 and consisted of about 120,000 acres, stretching about 20 miles north and 20 miles west of Moama.

  • Perricoota Stables around 1911-15
  • Perricoota about 1905 FS Falkiner & Sons

In 1846 James Maiden also established a "punt" to operate between Moama and Echuca. In the early 1860s he built part of the present homestead **** And in 1865 he sold Perricoota to Kirk Goldsborough who in turn sold to "Robertson and Wagner" in the late 1860s.

At this time the property was used for grazing cattle and sheep, but Robertson and Wagner, who were also part owners in Cobb & Co., also used it extensively for depastured and breeding hundreds of their coach horses. Crops of Hay was grown and this was shipped North to Hay, by paddle steamer or barge. COB was their cattle brand.

  • Bullock team with record load of Australian Wool Perricoota Station Moama 1906
  • Shearing around 1912-15

In the 1870s portions of the property were sold off for wheat farming.

Drought struck in 1899, ruining Robertson and Wagner as they found the cost of feeding all their horses and 100,000 sheep beyond their means. Many sheep perished despite their best efforts.

Perricoota was sold in 1899 to F.S. Falkiner & Sons, the world famous Merino Sheep breeders. They bought 72,642 acres for 250,000 pounds. The sheep did not grow big enough in this area and they had problems with foot-rot, so in 1911 Falkiner's sold out to consolidate their holdings north of Deniliquin.

  • Perricoota Orchard about 1920

On June 1st, 1911 Watson Brothers of John Watson & Co., stock agents of Bendigo, assumed ownership. They bought 25,000 acres for 6 pounds 10 shillings per acre.

Later, when the Moama – Balranald railway line was built, Perricoota was cut up again with all land north of the Moulamein Road having to be sold. 10,000 acres were retained by Rupert John Watson and his sons, Raymond and Geoffrey and then past onto and operated as G.H Watson & Sons, owned by Rupert and Ron Watson.

The first citrus trees were planted in 1913 and planting continued until 1937 when about 130 acres had been planted – 13,000 trees.

Re-planting was commenced in 1968 and in 1994 there were 14,500 trees in 110 acres. Production varied from 700 to 1,200 tonnes or 30,000 to 60,000 cartons of fruit.

  • Once the Packing Shed now the Function Center!!

About 350 Shorthorn cattle and 2,500 Merino sheep were also grazed at "Perricoota" and 1,500 acres of grain was grown.

In the early 1990's the citrus operation ceased large production, however today the citrus trees are still very present and fruitful. In September 2010, Mark Evans took ownership of "Perricoota Station."

In March 2016 the Station was brought by Trevor O’Grady who has big plans to continue to develop the property building on its great reputation.

To bring it back to its former glory and to retain Moama's history!